This year has led us all to find new ways to make the best of our current situation and sports enthusiasts are no exception. Tailgating is a tradition shaped by sports fans and rooted in the spirit of coming together as a community to show support for our favorite teams. Although fans and rivals may not be able to gather together at stadiums, we can still share in the experience of cheering on our teams from home.
Tailgating has expanded from grilling out in the parking lot into an entire industry dedicated to the tailgate experience. Football fans all over have continued the evolution of tailgating this season with home tailgating, or “homegating.” Whether you’re a seasoned tailgate pro or just looking for an entertaining outdoor experience for the family, homegating is the perfect way to enjoy the football season from home this fall.
Think Super Bowl Sunday. Over 100 million viewers tuned in to watch the Super Bowl game this past February, and most NFL stadiums can only hold about 70,000 fans. That’s a lot of people celebrating from home! Homegating is essentially the outdoor version of a super bowl party. All you really need is some good food, drinks, company, and of course, football. Let’s make every game day feel like the Super Bowl! Here are our tips for firing up an outdoor “homegate” that’ll have family, friends, and neighbors cheering from the sidelines.
Set the scene
With work from home and kids in virtual classes, we could all use some time outside of the house. Set up in your backyard, driveway, or even the garage and turn your space into the ultimate tailgate zone.
- Deck out the area with team colors, tablecloths, flags, seating, decorations, and other tableware
- Break out the face paint, jerseys, foam fingers and fan gear to bring that team spirit on game day
- Take a TV to the yard to watch the game or consider elevating your backyard space with a weatherproof outdoor TV to keep the party going through the fourth quarter
- Set up tailgate games like cornhole or have a football to toss around
- Rep your favorite team with a Blue Sky NFL licensed fire pit to keep your family and friends warm during fall weather. Our smoke-free patio fire pit provides plenty of heat in your yard for a larger crowd, and our smoke-free portable fire pit will surely keep your homegate crew nice and cozy wherever you bring it!
Food and drinks
Good food and cold drinks are a tailgating staple. No tailgate is complete without a spread of stadium-worthy snacks (and beer). Homegating perk: the kitchen is only few steps away for any last-minute preparation or cooking!
- Fire up the grill and throw on some hot dogs, burgers, brats, or kebabs
- Chips, dips, and an assortment of snacks are always welcome
- Skip the grocery store and order food such as pizza, barbecue, or wings for delivery or takeout
- Pack a cooler or set up a mini beverage bar for family and guests
- Break out the s’mores fixings by the fire for dessert
We are so glad football is back, and we’re sure you are too. Homegating might just be our Hail Mary pass to saving game day this season. Get outside and give homegating a shot!
Was your homegate a success? Tag us on social @blueskyoutdoorliving and share your favorite tailgate tips and traditions with us!